- Mash the garlic with the salt in the mortar till it’s a paste (or add it crushed or finely minced to a bowl).
- Add the shallots and the juice of a lime and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, so that the lime juice can do its business on the garlic and shallot and continue to dissolve the salt.
- Cut the the avocados in half. Remove the seed by firmly tapping the blade of your knife into the seed, then twisting to release it from the fruit.
- Scoop the avocado into the mortar or bowl. Mash it with a fork or the pestle.
- Fold in the tomatoes, taste, season with more lime juice (it probably needs it), the cilantro, more salt if necessary.
Serve with tortillas or use it to top some tacos or a burger. Or just about anything.
Meal type: hors d’oerves
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Copyright © 2011 Hooverdog.com.
Microformatting by hRecipe.